Welcome, if you are a new reader [or follower 🙂 ] here is a brief introduction to this project:
Last Christmas I received a Grand Calibur die cutting machine which came in a large and sturdy box which – in a moment of madness – I decided to turn into a book. There are three previous posts showing the progress I was making – I haven’t made much progress for a while really………….
So I hit a wall – I was thinking too much and everything I did was awful – truly awful!!
A good lesson for me to learn – stop thinking and start creating!
I got into the rut because I really wanted to make something special out of that box – the idea is to return the box to the original giver in a new form, so therefore I couldn’t muck it up………….. and, of course, therefore I thought too much and mucked it up ….. !!!
So I had a wee paddy and went into the play room today saying through gritted teeth – just go with your gut and play and chuck out all the ‘shoulds’.
And a miracle happened and in just a few hours I made the cover for the book:
I took some cream card stock and painstakingly put it through the machine six times to get the embossed pattern into it. I used stains in ‘Aged Mahogany’ and ‘Brick Red’ to colour it and when it was dry I sprayed liberally with glimmer mist ‘Black Cherry’ to get a slightly worn, but rich red. [NB:- The photos were taken with the low winter sun streaming onto the desk, the colour is not quite this pink in reality]
Then I prepared the inside lining for the cover. The small paper example to the right is the original, to the left after it is sprayed with the same glimmer mist colour. The edges are stained and slightly tattered:
When I had made two boards – front and back covers – I left them to dry and played around with the glimmer mist on some lace and punched a length of pretty paper using a Martha Stewart punch:
I decided it looked a bit insipid, so it too got sprayed liberally with the glimmer mist!
I cut a strip of grunge paper to size and that got a good coat of ‘Aged Mahogany’ stain and came out really pretty – it looks and feels like velvet! Then I attached the dyed lace with a light coat of multi-medium.
There was a strip of the inside paper lying around so I decided to use that on the front cover too, everything was glued on seperately and layered carefully.
Finally I attached the outer spine using a combination of hidden staples and tacky glue and then – fittingly – left it sitting under the weighty die cutting machine – the item which came in the original box – to dry:
When it emerged from under the machine it looked like this:
I’ve started on the title and a little something else which is needed – and I’ve got a line of pearl beads to attach tomorrow – but the worst of it is done. What a relief!
I’m really happy as at last it is starting to look the way I wanted it to – like a really old book that was beautifully and carefully hand made and has been much used and is now just a little the worse for wear ……
Thanks for sticking with it – let me know what you think………..
Perfectly awesome so far. I love the torn paper on top and the glimmer mist (I should use mine more) is just the yummiest colour. I clicked on the card you use as your ‘About Me’ widget. So darling. I recognize a few of the dies too. Stunning!
Aww, thank you – that is full-some praise! Sadly that glimmer mist colour has disappeared from my suppliers listings – I am nursing the last half inch in the bottle carefully to see the project through ….
It is looking fabulous! I love what you have done to it!!!
Thank you Kim!
That is absolutely beautiful, I admire your seeing it through, it’s been such a tedious project.
You are right – tedious is a good word! However now the creative block is broken and we are in the fun part of the homeward run …… thank you for so loyally sticking with it PLGCM…. maybe one more post and then a video…..
It is reeeeally lovely Pauline. Pretty! I would like a book like that as my idea book. And to think you used the box from which the machine came in is genius, on many levels. Great Job!!!
PS: the low winter sun streaming in gives the cover a nice touch I think.
I have to admit I am really liking what is now happening – 🙂 I’m glad you do too – it’s nice to get validation on creative projects. I know you love pink so I shall try to reproduce that colour in reality when this project is complete……